Full time studies

Learn the basics of higher education.

If you are planning to study in Poland full time, you may wonder how the education cycle looks like and what you have to do to enroll in university.

First thing you should know that there are two types of Polish universities, public and private ones. The higher education consists of three cycles:

  • Bachelor degree which lasts 3 years
  • Master degree which lasts 2 years
  • PHD studies which lasts 3-4 years

The engineering studies lasts 3,5 year, and then you may continue on master for 1.5 years if the studies’ major is compatible

There are some fields of study that offer long-cycle programs (5 years). Those are: medicine, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, and law.

Foreign students can complete any level of education in Poland, guaranteed they finished an equivalent of a Polish high school.

Education in Poland is free for Polish students unless they want to study in English or in any other foreign language. International students may have to pay some tuition fees. However the costs are still much lower than in many other European countries.

If you are an EU / EEA student, you do not have to pay tuition fees for courses taught in Polish, but you are competing with Polish students for recruitment places.

If you are not from an EU country, studying in Poland is associated with payment of tuition fees. The total price of tuition fees may be different at every university, inpublic ones, the costs can be estimated as below:

per academic year

Bachelor’s degree

500 – 6,000 EUR

Master’s degree

1,000 – 8,000 EUR

Academic year timeline


If you want to apply to any university in Poland, you must take part in the recruitment process, which usually starts in June or at the beginning of July.

You need to meet the requirements that differ at each university, so before applying read all the guidelines at the websites of your chosen universities.

Remember also to read carefully the description of each course that you chose and you'll be fine. Besides requirements usually include:

  • English proficiency test

  • Matriculation Certificate or equivalent document

  • if you are applying for a master - a BA diploma.


The academic year at Polish universities starts with the winter semester at the beginning of October and ends usually at the turn of January and February.


In the first semester there is a Christmas break that takes place from December 23rd to January 1st.


The examination session is usually in the first half of February, followed by a one-week semester break.


Summer semester starts around last week of February and lasts until the end of June with a one week Easter break in April.


Examination sessions usually start in the second half of June.